1007 8th Street, Wheatland, WY 82201 • Ph: 307-322-2627 • Fax: 307-322-9612
E-EDITION LAST UPDATED:
Current E-Edition

Top Stories Opinion Sports For The Record Photos Home 


Conant avoids death penalty with plea change

Modified: Wednesday, Jul 3rd, 2013


Everett Conant III


WHEATLAND A 37-year-old Wheatland man accused of killing his brother and three sons has changed his plea to no contest to four counts of first-degree murder and one count of first-degree attempted murder. This came after a confidential hearing in Douglas last Wednesday.

With this change in plea, Everett Conant III avoids the death penalty, and instead faces life in prison or life without parole on each count.

Conant previously pleaded not guilty and not guilty by mental illness to the charges. On July 7, 2011, Conant allegedly shot and killed his sons Joseph, 11, Charles, 13, and Everett, 18, and his brother, Nacuma Roland Conant, 33. He also wounded his former wife, Suzette Conant. Special Agent Len Propps of the Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation testified at a court hearing that Suzette Conant told him her husband opened fire using two semi-automatic pistols following an argument. Everett Conant III reportedly became angry because he wanted to keep the curtains in his home drawn; Suzette Conant said her former husband believed people were spying on him and believed he was paranoid.



For the complete article see the 07-03-2013 issue.

Click here to purchase an electronic version of the 07-03-2013 paper.











Select Page:
Within:
Keyword:

Google

Entertainment







 

Copyright 2014 News Media Corporation

News    Classifieds    Shoppe    Search    ContactUs    TalkBack    Subscribe    Information    E-Edition    Business Portal